A few days ago, I sat in a park and I thought. Just me, my brain, and a whole day as my canvas.
My birthday is approaching, and I’ve survived another year of life. Every time this happens I like to take a day to reassess my life, and what’s going on. Who am I? What am I doing? Why can’t I stop watching Netflix? That kind of stuff. In fact, it’s one of my favourite past times.
Once this involved designing a road map to achieving every single life goal I had within the next year (guess how that worked out). Another time this involved being so sick I couldn’t even do a single pushup – and spent the entire day alone and in tears. Other times it’s involved me dropping everything, and disappearing into some corner of the world.
This time, I thought about a lot of things. My life, my relationships, my finances (god I’m getting old), my goals, my dreams, where it was all going and where I was currently heading. And, I also thought about this blog.
When I started this blog last year, I made it as somewhere to put my writing. Over the months, I’ve posted various articles, often with typos and poor grammar, about topics that I think are important to people, and will help those who are in similar situations to one’s I’ve been in.
But really, the blog was a place for me to organise my thoughts after a few seriously psychologically intense years. Hey, we gotta do what works for us.
So far I’ve learned a few things. Firstly, people really respond to articles that are genuine and aimed at helping them. Second, for every 1000 people that read your writing, 10 or so will hate it. A few will even take the time out of their day to tell you. Third, quality trumps quantity – but quality and quantity trumps everything.
With that in mind, here’s where I’m taking the blog next:
- It’s still free. Until I’ve written 100 articles, I’m not going to bother thinking about making a product or anything like that. I don’t need the money, and I don’t want some product to define what this blog is. I want it to define itself.
- If I want to nurture this blog in any direction, I want it to be the best place to get good life advice on the internet. Not easy advice, not nice advice. Good advice. In the world of self-help and dating, there is some absolutely woeful advice out there. People say it’s an oversaturated field, I’d agree – but I counter that it’s suffering from malnutrition. The same ideas are floating around, propagated by people that either have no idea what they’re talking about, or do, but aren’t good enough at writing to properly express themselves. Fuck that.
- Quantities going up, and so is quality. Look, I get it. My grammar sucks and I don’t proofread enough. It’s lazy, and I’m going to fix it. Beyond that, I’m going to post more frequently, with new posts each week. I’m tired of receiving messages from people asking when the new post is out, only for me to roll over and pull lint from my belly button.
That’s the plan. Watch it happen, and enjoy.
Here’s a taster of some of the stuff that’s coming soon:
- What Do Women Want – A reader asked for my opinion on the fundamental characteristics of an attractive man. One came to mind, but I decided to do something different. I went out and asked every girl I knew for what they thought, then I contrasted what they said against my own thoughts. At first, this was fun, but then I realised where we were all screwing up.
- A Guide To Breakups – I got an email recently from a guy in a pretty bad place, asking for some advice on how to deal with a breakup. He’d been dumped but his girl and she’d quickly shacked up with another guy. She’d likely been cheating on him, and now he was alone and feeling like crap. This is something I’ve been meaning to touch on for a while, and I took this opportunity to really explore in detail, his situation and breakups in general. There are dumb ways to handle them, and there are smart ways. It’s not complicated – It’s so easy anyone can do it.
- An Exploration of Shame and Unworthiness – This is a huge issue that I think sits smack bang at the heart of western dating, both for men and women. If you ever feel like you don’t measure up, or you’re not good enough as you are – then this one’s for you.
- And Why You Won’t Achieve Your Dreams – This is a takedown of your attempts to achieve your dreams. Do you really want them? Based on your life, are they really going to happen? This explores one of the most important concepts I’ve implemented into my life, and how you can implement it into yours.
That’s it. Another year alive. Another three hundred and sixty odd days spent. Not as much wasted, but more than I’d like. Plenty of failures, enough successes. Overall rating: B – Room for improvement. The kid shows promise.
Cool, any questions – don’t hesitate to get in touch. I personally respond to everything, even abuse, and especially full frontal nudes.